What are cookies? Cookies are small files that are installed on the user’s equipment when the user accesses a website. Cookies allow, among other things, to store and retrieve information about the browsing habits of a user or his equipment and, depending on the information they contain and the way he uses his computer, depending on the type of cookie and the information collected, can be used to recognize the user.
Types of cookies
According to the entity that manages them:
- Own cookies: They are cookies sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a device or domain managed by the publisher and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are cookies sent to the user’s equipment from a device or domain that is not managed by the publisher, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through the cookies.
Depending on the length of time they remain active:
- Session cookies: they are cookies that collect and store data when the user accesses the site and cease as soon as the user leaves the site (for example, a list of purchased products).
- Persistent cookies: They are a type of cookies in which data remains stored on the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose
- Technical cookies: cookies that are essential and strictly necessary for the correct functioning of the website and use the different options or services we offer. For example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing parts of restricted access, remembering the elements that make up an order, carrying out the order purchase process, making the registration request or participating in an event, use security elements while browsing, store content for playing videos or sound or share content via social networks.
- Personalization cookies: cookies that allow the user to specify or personalize some features of the website. For example, setting the language, regional setting, or browser type.
- Analysis cookies: they are cookies that allow us to monitor and analyze user behavior on our website in order to create navigation profiles and to be able to know the users’ preferences. They are usually used to measure user activity in order to improve the service we offer depending on the results we obtain. For example, using an analytical cookie it is possible to control the geographic areas of greatest interest to a user, which product or service is most accepted, etc.
- Advertising cookies: cookies that allow the management, in the most effective way, of the advertising spaces that, if applicable, the publisher has included in a website, application or platform from which he provides the requested service based on criteria such as the edited content or how often ads are shown.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: cookies that allow the management, in the most effective way possible, of the advertising spaces that, if applicable, the publisher has included in a website, in an application or in a platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information about the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, allowing them to develop a specific profile to display advertising based on it.